Healthcare Technology Solutions from LGS Innovations
The healthcare sector faces a number of tough challenges. Keeping up with citizens’ demands for higher quality of life, and patients’ expectations for better and safer care, is increasingly difficult in the face of cost constraints, shortages of healthcare professionals, and an aging society. In addition, when delays can literally mean the difference between life and death, government agencies providing healthcare services such as NIH, HHS, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, VA Hospitals, and the military depend on communications networks to seamlessly and reliably connect medical staff to enhance patient care. However, today’s disparate communications networks can compromise response time and interrupt collaboration and clinician accessibility, contributing to increased costs and decreased quality of patient care. As a result, the U.S. Federal Government and key healthcare stakeholders (including patients, payers, researchers, and care-delivery organizations) realize that information and communications technologies play a key role in enabling healthcare system transformation. This transformation begins with the creation of a network infrastructure and the implementation of improved healthcare technology solutions that enables fast, safe, and secure communications and data exchange between patients, caregivers, and family members.
Proven Expertise: Making Disease Management and Tele-care Services a Reality
- Enabling bedside communications and virtual visits
- Accessing patient information securely, anytime and from anywhere
- Connecting medical professionals with one another and with the patients when and where necessary
- Delivering care to remote patients
- Providing proactive disease management and preventative care virtually
- Providing collaboration between Civilian and Federal health services
- Enabling connected medicine in support of the DoD Health Information Management System (DHIMS) through Electronic Health Records (EHR) adoption
- Improved patient safety
- Reduction in accidents and medical errors
- More efficient coordination between healthcare institutions
- Shift from acute care to chronic-conditions management and home care (post hospital, and independent living for the elderly)
- Faster recovery with limited impact on quality of life (reducing unnecessary transport costs and related inconveniences)
- Increased emphasis on prevention
- Increased citizen and patient empowerment (citizen-centered healthcare systems)
- Trusted security and privacy provisions
- Increased protection of personal medical data from unauthorized access
- Improved access to up-to-date personal medical records, allowing healthcare professionals to deliver the best possible treatment anytime, anywhere
- Access to best-in-class treatment for all citizens, whether they are located in urban or rural areas
Healthcare Network Transformation: Advanced Healthcare Communications Technology
- Service Continuity: fault tolerant, high capacity, future proof
- Information Security: protecting patient privacy
Improved Patient Services
- Pre/post care: remote diagnostics, patient follow up
- Entertainment: patients can access additional options via the TVs and networking capabilities in their rooms including more channels, VoD, gaming, vending services, etc.
- Communication: e-mail, mobile telephone
- Improved care and access to treatment at rural locations such as Indian reservations
- Accelerated processing of disability claims; reduction in errors and improved efficiency
- Other: improved billing, crediting
Improved Medical Staff Services
- Anytime, anywhere availability of patient records, medical images, surgical procedure recordings
- Computer-assisted surgery
Improved delivery of battlefield medicine and healthcare
- Increased bandwidth to first responders and battlefield medics provides immediate access to medical history, as well as remote collaboration with medical experts
- Bringing technologies like Smart Surgery Suite to the front line expands the lifesaving capabilities of first responders and military medics
Improved Educational Services
- Anytime, anywhere availability of video captures, image libraries, etc.
- Live video streaming to classrooms or other campuses
- Significant cost reductions through a simplified, highly converged network
Creating the Standards for Improved, Connected Healthcare
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS): a cause-based not-for-profit organization exclusively focused on providing global leadership for the optimal use of IT and management systems for better healthcare. HIMSS frames and leads healthcare practices and public policy through content expertise, professional development, and research initiatives to promote information and management systems’ contributions to improve the quality, safety, access, and cost-effectiveness of patient care.
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI): dedicated to increasing the understanding, safety, and efficacy of medical instrumentation. AAMI is a unique alliance of members from around the world united by one mission – to increase the understanding and beneficial use of medical instrumentation through effective standards and educational programs and publications.
- European Health Telematics Association (EHTEL): a European non-profit organization that provides a platform to all European eHealth stakeholders to exchange information on eHealth.
Leveraging the leadership of our parent company, LGS Innovations offers standards-based solutions to address the healthcare-related communications challenges of the U.S. Federal Government:
- Wired and wireless data infrastructure, with security to prevent network intrusion down to the port level
- Optical networking products
- IP routing and switching, complete with multi-service capabilities to distribute real-time applications to the remotest network edges, and non-stop service functionality to ensure reliability
- Next generation enterprise telephony, with the Genesys contact center application, wired and wireless handsets, an integrated voice messaging solution, voice recording, and an interactive voice response system
- A new suite of real-time multimedia applications, including presence, collaboration, and mobility capabilities
- Professional services, including integration of third-party applications and hospital systems with network operations center support
Center for Connected Medicine: Providing the Vision for the Future of Healthcare
- How a patient-centric focus coupled with the right integration of technologies come together to create more comprehensive patient care
- Firsthand participation in a model of healthcare that can improve care and decrease costs
- Real-world examples of connected medicine in various patient settings and depicted through patient stories
- A collaborative effort between CCM’s partners to create a more connected health care environment in hospital systems
- The inefficiencies and disruptions that a disconnected environment can create in a health care organization
- The impact that connected medicine could have on the health of future generations
- Connection: Alcatel-Lucent communications solutions are strategic assets that create a crucial link between the three main parts of any healthcare provider: the business operations, the clinical operations, and the administrative operations.
- Tele-care Services: Alcatel-Lucent healthcare solutions enable patient monitoring and assisted living by remote supervision of light to heavy chronic diseases. The Alcatel-Lucent TeleHealth Manager offers a cost-effective way to monitor chronic disease and to provide medical alerts and reminders with secure access to collected data and reports while empowering patients with proactive tools that improve their care.
- Exceptionally low capital cost per patient: TeleHealth Manager utilizes off-the-shelf medical devices. In many cases, patients already own a supported medical device. If not, one-time set-up costs are generally below $500.
- Ease of use: TeleHealth Manager combines off-the-shelf medical devices, standard mobile phones, and a simple user interface. Patients can easily monitor their condition and review collected information online.
- Convenience without high cost: TeleHealth Manager is compatible with standard mobile phones from well-known vendors. Today’s extensive cell phone coverage allows patients to take readings whenever and wherever it is convenient. In many cases, patients already own a supported cell phone, which further reduces the cost of healthcare.
- Greater empowerment: Healthcare providers are recognizing that patient empowerment contributes to improved health outcomes. RPM can play a crucial role by giving patients easy-to-use health monitoring tools. These devices enable more robust participation in patients’ own healthcare and a normal life at home, uninhibited by their condition.
- Improved health outcomes: Studies demonstrate that RPM helps reduce HbA1c levels in patients with diabetes by up to 15 percent after just six months. With a proactive RPM solution, many negative outcomes can be controlled — and often eliminated.
OmniTouch 8660 My Teamwork™
Smart Surgery Suite and Collaboration System
The objective of the Smart Surgery Suite is to provide the surgeon a high degree of quality information, usually endoscopic video information, so a specialist can oversee or direct a surgery from a remote site. Multiple parties can access an audio link to provide communication needed for the surgery without needless distractions, and both remote and local surgeons can retrieve and display patient information as well as real-time CAT scan and other telemetry information. This provides additional life-saving patient care for the current surgery, and provides the local doctors the training they require so they can perform these procedures without the need for oversight in the future.
Leveraging a Legacy of Healthcare Technology Solutions Expertise and Success
LGS Corporate Headquarters
13665 Dulles Technology Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
Ask Dr. Network
Have a question about network infrastructure and how best to manage your organization’s networking and communications challenges?
Dr. Network can help. Our team of experts will provide a detailed response and provide guidance and options for all of your networking needs.