Government Communications Lab
The Government Communications Lab of LGS Innovations interprets and applies the research findings of Bell Labs to address the unique needs of U.S. Federal Government. It is comprised of two primary facilities, with smaller locations providing specialized support.
- Advanced cybersecurity capabilities, including a state-of-the-art Internet Research Laboratory
- Advanced multimedia communications and networking, to include Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR), tactical communications, Improvised Explosive Device (IED) defeat, and innovative aperture solutions
- Photonics application and development (PAD), to include optical design and development, custom optics integrated circuits, planar lightwave circuit design and development, and optical modeling and simulation
The Internet and Cybersecurity Research Department (ICRD)
Internet Research Lab
Advanced Multimedia Communications and Networking
- Intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), using both wireless radio frequency (RF) signals and wired signals from the Radio Access Network (RAN) and Core Network (CN)
- Tactical communications, where the department provides research and solutions for agile laser communications (ALC) and specialized custom RF communications
- Solutions to combat improvised explosive devices (IEDs), to help military forces find, identify, jam, or intentionally trigger IEDs in a manner that vastly increases the safety and security of warfighters
- Innovative Aperture Solutions (IAS): the design, build and deployment of advanced integrated RF front-end and antenna technology designed for specific environments, signal waveforms, power levels and geometry.
- Quick Response Capability (QRC), which cuts across the other areas to enhance LGS Innovations’ ability to rapidly and effectively realize the creation and deployment of products to the field in a rapid-spiral manner
Photonics and Applications Development
- High-Power Sources for Remote Sensing: research and development of high-power optical sources for remote sensing applications, including LIDAR transmitters for active imaging
- High-Power Sources for Missile Defense: development of revolutionary high-power, high efficiency, electrically-driven laser technology that can be turned into a ruggedized and militarily useful optical system
- Cyber Network Security and Performance Enhancement in Government Operated Fiber Networks: research, design, and development of state-of-the-art optical fiber networks and next-generation high-speed encryption to provide secure operational and performance enhancement solutions to U.S. Federal Government-operated networks
- Broadband Networking to the Warfighter Regardless of Location: development of free-space lasercom and high-sensitivity optical receivers for free-space lasercom applications
- Optical Systems for Climate Change Measurement and Space Exploration: research and development on LIDAR transmitters capable of high-resolution spectroscopy for application to precision measurements from Earth orbit of atmospheric greenhouse gasses and custom hardware required for space exploration missions
LGS Corporate Headquarters
13665 Dulles Technology Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
Ask Dr. Network
Have a question about network infrastructure and how best to manage your organization’s networking and communications challenges?
Dr. Network can help. Our team of experts will provide a detailed response and provide guidance and options for all of your networking needs.